Monday, March 25, 2013

Euro(ccupy)trip


Hey Everybody,


Just so you know I am writing this with a mixture of feelings. One of those feelings feels somewhat like loss, but thankfully this is only temporary.

I am going to Europe. The original reason was the World Social Forum in Tunisia, but last I checked there were no flights out of Barcelona into Tunis. Once I arrive in Barcelona I am going to give finding a flight one last shot and see what happens, but if I can't find a plane or a ferry there then I will be staying there in Barcelona for a few days. After that I am going to make my way to Paris and see what happens from there. The ticket I bought was one way and I am taking camping gear. I think I need some open air for a while.

Since I became active in the movement in September 2011, I have not stopped. Every waking moment I have had- even in the midst of great joy and pain- has been devoted to participating in this movement. I have a lot to learn, but I am a believer. My biggest problem is that when I commit myself to something I go all in. I, like many of you, have been all in since 2011. I have been through marches, arrests, trials, meetings, city council hearings, national rallies, national gatherings, anniversaries, relief efforts, conference calls, in addition to the normal trials of life. I am tired. I need a break. I need air. 

I want to be upfront and acknowledge that this is such a privilege to be able to do this, knowing that I have a support network or friends and (as far as I'm concerned) family that will always be there for me. I also want you to know that while I will not be at work for a while, I will most definitely be at work. I need some headspace, but I never stop.

The main reason I want you to know my itinerary is because I want this to be a work trip too. I am planning on meeting up with some movement folks from Spain and France. If there is anyone I should meet up with that you folks know from anywhere (I am going to try to make my way to Italy, Slovakia, Amsterdam, really wherever I can), please, do tell. I would hate for this opportunity to go to waste. When I come back I hope to bring experiences and ideas that will be helpful for the movement. Whether it be networks, tools, or tactics I want to share and share alike. I am going to write out my experiences on this blog

Some of you I will miss and some of you I will long to see, but just know I'll be alright. I think we all have a pilgrimage to somewhere to take. I think it is telling that the places I want to go are churches, cathedrals, and monasteries. For those of you who are so inclined: pray for me. Everyone else spare a thought for me every now and again, fondly I hope. 


With A Pocket Full Of Dreams,
Larry

1 comment:

  1. Larry, You and I don't know one another, but I have seen you at various Occupy Philly events. I have long admired your passion, your strength, your courage, and your commitment to this movement. Much success to you as you begin the newest phase of your journey.
    In admiration, and with solidarity,
    A Sister from Occupy Philly

    ReplyDelete